Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Old Fashioned Food


Old Fashioned Food

I like old fashioned food, salt risin' bread
A batch of cookies in a covered crock,
Sweet cakes with currants in and caraway
Cabbage and carrots and a piece of hock
Simmered to bring the hidden flavor out,
A bit of pork smothered in sauerkraut.

I like an apple pie baked to a turn
Flavored with nutmeg and a pinch of clove
Brown crusted bread sweet as a hazel nut
Baked slowly in a big old fashioned stove,
'Er buckwheat pancakes sizzling from the pan
Enough to warm the heart of any man.

Johnny cake...gingerbread and chili sauce
Fried potatoes done to a golden brown,
And jelly roll whose crumbling sides drip jam
(My mother was the best cook in the town)
Oh yes - I had forgotten pumpkin pie
Thinking of Maw's, I could sit down and cry.

I might as well give up, for what's the use
Loving these things I never could reduce.

Poem by Edna Jaques

Photo by Jacklyn Waronek


No comments:

Post a Comment