I found and followed a recipe from the excellent book The Joy of Keeping a Root Cellar by Jennifer Megyesi.
Because it was the first time, I made only one jar to keep in the refrigerator. In three weeks time, I will know if I like pickled eggs and would want to fill my pantry with them.
Check back in three weeks.
Here is Jennifer's complete recipe:
Place in each wide mouthed quart glass canning jar:
- Hard-boiled eggs (8-12, depending upon size, leaving 1/2 inch headspace)
- 2 whole, peeled cloves garlic
- 2 whole red peppers
- 1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs, like basil, dill, rosemary, or oregano
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water (nonchlorinated)
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder (I left this out)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
Let the eggs steep in the brine for at least 3 weeks before eating.
Makes 4 quarts.
They'll keep for up to 3 months in the refrigerator, and you can easily seal the jars for keeping in the pantry for up to a year.